If you plan on visiting with a minor child, we recommend that you visit the inmate once on your own, before bringing the child. This will provide you with an opportunity to understand the process and the facilities' rules so that you can help support your child when he or she visits. See web page on visiting with children.
If you want to be sure visitation has not been canceled for the day, please call 651-430-7900 and talk to the operator. We cannot tell you if your name is on the inmate's visiting list. We can only tell you if the inmate has a visitor list. The operator can tell you if an inmate is allowed a visit. Disciplinary lockdown or facility lockdown would be examples where an inmate could not visit.
- You must present a valid governmental picture ID with date of birth. School, work, store etc. IDs are not acceptable.
- Due to private data laws, the jail can only tell you if the inmate has a visitor list, but we cannot tell you who is on the list.
- Minors cannot be left unattended in the jail lobby or in your vehicle.
- K-9 certified training dogs are allowed in the jail.
- Visitors must pass the metal detector.
- Visitors who have warrants will be taken into custody.
- Lockers free of charge, are available in the jail lobby for outer clothing, cell phones, purses, monies, keys etc.
- Baby strollers, cribs, and carriers are not allowed in the jail.
- Only minors on the visiting list that are the inmate’s biological, adopted, foster, guardian and step children may visit when accompanied by an adult on the visiting list.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn. Clothing that is too revealing will disallow your visit.
- All jail rules must be followed. Visitors not following the jail rules will be asked to leave and banned from visiting for a minimum of 30 days.
- Visitors who have been arrested and stayed overnight in the Washington Jail cannot visit an inmate within 60 days of the arrest.
- Visitors who attempt to bring contraband into the jail will be arrested and charged with introduction of contraband.
- Inmates can decline a visit.
- Inmates in segregation will only be allowed one pre-approved visit per week.
- Inmates on lockdown status will not be allowed to visit.
- Inmates will not be removed from a program or work to visit.
- Visitors cannot sit on the booth ledge.
- Visitors must control their children’s behavior in the visitor booth area or be asked to leave.
- For safety and security reasons, a visit may be terminated if a visitor needs to use the restroom during the visit. For that reason, we recommend having children use the bathroom before the visit begins.
- If you have a disability and need assistance to visit, let an officer know and we will assist you.
- No Solicitations. Do not leave handouts or business cards.
- If there is a valid order for protection or a no contact order between the visitor and the inmate, visiting privileges will be suspended.
- A valid court order lifting the order must be presented to the visiting officer(s).